Monday 19 December 2011

London to Paris!

Let's start at the very beginning. My good friend Will asked if anyone was interested in cycling 300 miles from London to Paris for Amnesty International, a charity he has been involved with lots. I immediately expressed interest as it ticked a lot of boxes in one go:

  • I've been wanting to do something more for charity. In fact, Will and I have been talking about other ideas for a year or more.
  • I have major wanderlust.
  • I want to get fitter. There's only so far I can get by playing football twice a week and occasionally going to the gym... I need a goal! (Yes, I know that playing football gives me a goal too)

I was a definite yes before I had even found out the details of the trip. Everything seemed perfect, except the large amount of money (£1400) I have to raise in only a few months (and the slight problem that I don't actually own a bike). Convinced I could at least get close to that amount, I paid the deposit and sent off the forms.

This is where the hard work starts. On this blog I will be charting my attempts at fundraising and getting fitter.

If you feel like donating already, I've made it extra-easy for you to give money. Either go to my JustGiving page or just text "WARD66 £5" (or any other amount) to 70070. Amnesty International is a really great cause, they help protect human rights around the world where basic rights, which we take for granted, aren't available to all. Click here to see some of the amazing work they do.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment